Sunday 31 July 2011

Of Yesterdays and Tomorrows...Settling in...

It's been a month now since I've relocated my life to Ghana.

Has it gone by slowly or quickly? A bit of both.

Time moves at a different pace here - it's something like learning to crawl after mastering how to run. And sure enough, I'm becoming accustomed to it. Enjoying it even. Taking the time to take in many life lessons. Accepting many personal changes. After spending much of my life trying to fill my time, trying to feel useful, trying to be productive, I'm learning that there's really no point rushing through it all. Rushing only makes life shorter. I know better than some that time is precious, it shouldn't be wasted. Now I'm learning to appreciate longevity.

...But as I alluded to before, a month gone by feels both like forever and no time all at once. If I use my old Westernized way of thinking, I would say I really haven't accomplished much. I'm not much further along with my work, I'm still confused about the structure of the organization I'm supposed to be working with and I haven't the slightest clue what to do my research project on. At this point my new African state of mind kicks in and recognizes that I've done one hellova job building relationships, making contacts, developing rapport, learning Twi, negotiating pricing, directing taxis, orienting myself in the city - even settling into my own house! I should be proud of myself.

I've learned to appreciate some of life's little perfect moments. I'm learning patience and forgiveness. I'm learning to give without expecting anything in return. This is what Ghana is teaching me.

Sometimes in my quiet contemplation I wonder about the changes I'm going through. I think about home and the detached way many sleepwalk through life. Can I ever be that way again? In accepting the magnanimous changes in my life, am I alientating myself from the friends and family who remain a part of my old lifestyle? Or will I slip silently back into easy numbness of North American isolation and ignorance? They call it reverse culture shock - the attempt to reintegrate (assimilate?) back into your original society. The fifth years in our program all seemed well adjusted after returning home from their co-op terms abroad. Back into the fast-paced, high-stress, deadline-oriented way of living. They spoke of their trips rather indifferently, without nostalgia or even much reflection. Maybe time does that with any experience - it removes much of the emotional weight, and adds an objective perspective to it all. Somehow I always knew this trip would change my life, I just didn't know in what way, shape or form it would take place.

In my short time here I've already met people willing to give more than some of my family and lifelong friends would ever consider. With the exception of my parents (and an extremely selective group of friends) who would give me the world if they possessed it, the generosity and proactive compassion I've found here is unparalleled. It's quite revealing that I come from a place of relative affluence, but had to travel half way around the world to an "underdeveloped" country to experience such an astounding level of selflessness and unconditional giving.

People greet eachother on the street. Your neighbours are your friends, not your enemies. Once you've given up on constant avoidance, actually stop for a conversation, look people in the eye, and allow yourself to thrive on human connectivity, you begin to trust the people around you. "Honey, don't talk to strangers," does not seem like something Ghanaian children are taught. "Love thy neighbor," certainly is. And it shows.

Even the respect that is shown to the older generations here is something you simply do not see in Canada. Upon arriving at a school, my boss can call upon any student to help her carry things indoors, even the smallest of items. I imagine the same situation in Toronto, a middle aged, able-bodied stranger asking a teenager to carry her fruit indoors - the kid may do it, but after a moments hesitation and silent questioning to themselves of either "what's wrong with this lady?" or "what's in it for me?" Personal gain certainly is an important concept here, but respect and hierarchy always comes first.  

People here always stop and ask for directions, yes - even men! Everyone looks out for eachother. Its not uncommon for a community member to discipline a child who isn't their's before taking them straight to their parents. I know that soon my whole neighbourhood will know that two oburunis have moved in - and I'll have to be aware that they'll be keeping an eye on us. We even had a visitor today who invited us over next sunday for lunch. Very sweet.

One thing's for certain. I really appreciate the small but amazing group of friends and family I have in my life who have been nothing but supportive and loving, not only through this crazy time in my life, but throughout. You know who you are! Ghana has taught me a lot, I know there is MUCH more to come - but most of all it has taught me to truly appreciate those around me who make an real effort to love me. Its taught me never be afraid to express my love and gratitude.

I love you all and one day I will give you everything you deserve.

P.S. There are pictures coming soon, I swear!





 

2 comments:

  1. Rasheeda this is beautiful - and so true. Sometimes we need to take ourselves out of our "normal" situations to realize just what's important to us in life.
    I've always thought that you can learn the most from strangers, be it about yourself or about the world.
    Keep writing, lady. Your words are beautiful.

    -erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting website. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete