Sunday 14 August 2011

The Problem With Comparisons - My Rant



Well world, here I am again with another yet another post!

I'd like to take some time to give a more nuanced view of Ghana, my time here, my observations and the comparisons I've made to my home in Toronto, Canada.

First, I would like to clarify that although in general, the people here are more open, friendly, giving and hospitable than those in Toronto, by no means am I trying to make Torontonians seem like evil, cold, self-centred people. It is definitely not so. Nor am I pointing fingers or trying to single out any individuals. My observations are very general and based on first impressions - I've only been here for about 6 weeks now. Some of the differences between the two cultures are simply so striking that I just had to take the opportunity to put it into writing.

Also, I'd like to invite anyone who got defensive about my last post to do a little reflection as to why it felt that way. Perhaps it struck a nerve because you could have given more, or were blind to how much a simple gesture of giving can resonate with another. Many times we (as humans) don't like to ask for help; we hope for those around us to reach out, lend a helping hand, get us on our feet, or simply be there for us, even when its uncomfortable. We don’t need hand-outs, just support. In Ghana it was amazing how quickly I could shake the feeling of loneliness, when in Toronto it enveloped me.

But enough of that! Ghana is not perfect - and Toronto is not all bad. For example, in Toronto we have homeless shelters to house those who are without the basic necessities. We have women's shelters and havens for victims of abuse. We have support structures for those who have experienced trauma. We have paved roads, running potable water, universal healthcare, sanitation and employment programs. We treat those with physical and mental disabilities with respect and provide opportunities for them to meet their dreams. We offer support to those affected by substance abuse. We refuse to give up on disillusioned youth. We continue to try to provide safe spaces for gay/lesbian/bisexual/pansexual/transgendered communities. We offer free, compulsory basic education. We have food banks, debt relief programs and animal rights. I value all of these things.

But isn't it true that we only appreciate these things once we lose them (or once we've seen the conditions others live in)? And from what I'm hearing about our current mayor, it may only be a matter of time until many of these priorities are lost.

In Ghana, many of these luxuries are unheard of. The roads are in abysmal condition. Hungry families huddle on the street beside the barbed wire walls of a million dollar estate. Divorce can be a social taboo. Thousands of children never get the chance to go to school. They become street sellers in a market that is oversaturated with goods. If you are not able-bodied, have suffered an accident, or were born with a physical or mental disability there is little opportunity for employment. Homosexuality is illegal. Virtually no services exist for victims of sexual or domestic abuse. Garbage disposal is inconsistent or non-existent in many communities - burning waste is very common. Dogs seen on the street are in such ill health, many are starving, injured, feared, beaten, killed.



My point here is that sometimes it's hard to see all that you have, when you don't have much perspective or anything to compare it to. Many times we don't see that we truly have a lot to give, when we're wrapped up in all that we have potential to lose. Sometimes it hurts to self-analyze, and come to the painful realization that we've lived much of our lives blind to the misfortune and suffering of others.

When I describe Ghana many may not be surprised - after all, they have seen images of Africa before. The pictures of children with bloated bellies and sad eyes. To many, my descriptions above don't have shock appeal because they've watched TV before. The women looking helpless, surrounded by flies, angrily handwashing their family's clothes. To some, the conditions here don't appal because - well, this is Africa after all. What did I expect?

For starters, recognition that poverty in Africa is not natural. It's not "just the way things are." It's not that this continent is steps behind North America and Europe on a linear, evolutionary path to modernity. Poverty is man-made. It relates to unfair terms of international trade, functioning in an unbalanced system of the current international division of labour, both of which force countries to export raw materials and import manufactured goods. Countries can no longer grow food to sustain their own population, but to sell them at low prices to rich nations. Countries don’t have the option of protecting their small, but crucial industries from outside control, or refusing huge multinational corporations from coming in and destroying the dream of a truly independent nation.

While skyscrapers are built in Ghana, while the police clear the streets of informal vendors, while foreigners shrug and think apathetically, “this is Africa;” I hope to reverse this thinking and these seemingly ‘natural’ images. We are all complicit to the active underdevelopment of Africa. Yes – even me, the bleeding heart hippie, who writes passionately in circles, asking a lot of questions, posing paradoxes, but has no answers. I can’t expect everyone to buy fair trade, to search for locally grown, organic foods, to be activists and advocates, to work tirelessly for change, to be hyper-aware, or to search for justice every waking day of their lives. I can’t even expect that of myself! But a little self-reflection, self-analysis and finding small way to help someone in need is always a good place to start.

My home will always be in Toronto, in my small townhouse, with my 7 animals, my wilting plants, my lovely roomies, my family, my forever friends and much of my history. But right now, my life is in Ghana. My heart and my soul live in Ghana. For now. I will invest everything I can in changing the little bit of the world that is right in front of me, one day at a time. In my mind, part of my responsibility in seeing more of the world is conveying my observations to you. I will do my best to be nuanced, sensitive and grounded. Remember I'm not picking on you, my dedicated readers, who take the time to digest my rants. I know your lives are not easy either. Giving is never easy.

That's why it’s so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment